Countdown

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

July 13, 2010 - Week 48

Hey Everyone!

There is so much to write about today. So much! I will start off with transfers. I am staying in Dayton once again. This will be the longest that I have ever been in an area. It will have been about 6 months there at the end of the transfer. Surprisingly Elder Wagner is already leaving. He is going to the west side of the mission to serve there for his very last transfer. It’s been good working with Elder Wagner. He is very laid back. He didn't really talk a whole lot so I kinda had to take charge most of the time, but he definitely prepared me for my new assignment. That is right, I will be training a brand new missionary. I am getting a greenie. In our mission we call our trainers Father and the trainee is the Son. Our trainers trainer is our Grandpa. Really stupid I know. I thought it was so dumb when I first got here, but I've gotten used to it. So I am going to have a son haha. Man I am really excited for it though. I think it will be really good for me and also for the new elder. I can train him right and help him as much as I can. I was thinking how I can finally be the missionary that I always wanted to be at the beginning of my mission. This new guy isn't going to know anything except for what I show him, so I plan on working hard and anything that my old companions disagreed with before, we can try it out now at least. Anyway I'm real excited. It will be a new challenge, but it will be great.

On Friday, we had Laurel Bloomfield's baptism. It was probably one of the best baptisms I have ever been too. We set everything up perfect and weren't in a rush. We didn't have to worry about anything. They have had a lot of involvement with the ward so all the speakers were members of the ward. Her husband baptized her. That was the coolest part of the baptism. Both Laurel and Jim Bob were both very nervous about the baptism. They are both don't like a lot of attention. Jim Bob has never given any blessing before, let alone baptized anyone. Elder Wagner and I got to be the witnesses. So they step into the font together. And rush into position. I thought they were just going to do it and I had to stop them so everyone could come into the room and see. Then Jim Bob starts to say the prayer. He is reading it on the wall so you don't forget. He is so nervous he actually forgets to say Laurels name, but he quickly realizes and stops. Then he closes his eyes and takes a big breath. It was like he was praying for help in that moment. Then he slowly says the prayer for the ordinance with his eyes closed. The whole time Laurel is looking up at her husband and smiling. He then immerses her in the water and when she comes out they hug each other. It was so amazing to see those two take that step together. They are both on the path together now and because of that night they helped each other come closer to God and to eternal life. It was amazing. The following day Jim Bob confirmed her and we got to be in the circle during the confirmation. It was so great. We had a lot of people at the baptism and many of the recent converts came out to see her get baptized. I'm sure it was a good reminder for them of the step they took to be baptized not that long ago.

This week we also taught Caysie and Lorns. They are friends and Caysie is actually engaged to a member named Darrold. Caysie and Darrold live together and have a 1 yr old daughter together. Lorns is their best friend and is always there so we have been teaching him too. Well this week we go and see Caysie. She is just sitting on the floor crying. We ask what is wrong and she said that her and Darrold got into a fight and he left her. Caysie has muscular dystrophy and is usually in a wheel chair. We sit down and start to talk with her. She said that ever since we came into her life, things have just been going great. She is reading the Book of Mormon and she said that nothing has ever made so much sense to her. She has been praying a lot and felt like this was the right thing to do. That night she was planning on telling us that she wanted to be baptized and she was very excited about it. That was before Darrold left. She said that she is questioning her faith now. She doesn't know what to do and she can't take care of her daughter by herself. She is not able to physically, mentally, and spiritually. Gosh, I felt so bad for her. We read the scriptures together and talked. We went to Ether 12:6 and talked about how this is just a trial in her life. It is a way for her to confirm her faith, not to doubt it. We then turned to Ether 12:27 and talked about weak things becoming strong. The spirit was very strong. We then gave her a priesthood blessing. She said that after the blessing it was the most calm she has ever been since the breakup. She then said, "You know, I still want to be baptized." We are meeting with her tonight again and we will probably sit down and set a date for her to be baptized. She has been talking to Darrold again, but she doesn't know what is going to happen.

I guess these two experiences I have had leads me right into the scripture that I wanted to share with everyone this week. I have been studying Matt 19 this week and I have been reading Jesus the Christ and this chapter hit me so hard. It’s Matt 19: 3-6, 13-15, 27, 29-30. I know that is a lot of scriptures, but they are all one to me. The Pharisees come to Christ and ask when is it okay to "put away your wife." Christ talks about the sanctity of marriage. He stands up for women and shows how important they are in the great eternal plan of Heavenly Father. Women then bring their little children to Christ and he blesses all of them. This shows how important the family is. Jesus Christ knew how important the family was. It is what brings us together and keeps us safe. Our families help us to return to God someday. Later Christ talks about giving up all one has and following him. He says that it will be easier for a camel to enter into an eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of god. The apostles wonder at this and ask what they will receive. They have left their families and all their possessions and followed Christ. That is where verse 27, 29-30 come in. I have seen this in my own life and I know that it is true.

We haven't heard a whole lot about the changes that will be taking place here. I do know that we will only have Zone Conference every other transfer now. There are new Preach My Gospel DVD's for us to watch and be trained by. We are actually having Elder Baxter of the 70 come to our mission this next transfer and give us the new training on missionary work. That should be really exciting. That’s about all I know. That’s it for me this week. I hope everyone is okay and safe. I am going to try and write some letters this week. Hopefully I can. I love you all. Take care.

Love,
Elder Garrick

No comments:

Post a Comment