Countdown

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

April 13, 2010 - Week 35

Hello everyone,

So I sent a letter home to the family about what has been going on around here, but I will update everyone else. This week has been a rough one for us. It was the week before everyone’s baptisms and things were just crazy. First we met with Warren, he is a 50 yr old guy with schizophrenia. This guy has been progressing so much. He said that he has never been happier in his whole life. He has been reading the Book of Mormon and the Gospel Principles book. He actually quoted something from the Gospel Principles book while we were teaching him. We decided to bump his baptism date for April 17th. We figured that he is progressing so much, and we committed him to live the word of wisdom, so he could really use the gift of the Holy Ghost as he tries to quit smoking and drinking coffee. He was all up for it and we set up his interview for baptism and everything. Then he gives us a call and says that he is going back to his anti-Mormon girlfriend and he just can't do this right now. It was a major upset for us. Then we talked to Larissa and she doesn't want to get baptized anymore too. She said that she is only 19 years old and she doesn't want to give up drinking and tea. She said that she doesn't want to get baptized and not be fully committed. That is exactly how it should be, but instead of not doing those things, she still wants to do them. She said that she probably will someday, but just not right now. Luckily we are still going to try and teach her so hopefully we can talk to her.

The Huxolls are the only ones that are doing great. Summer has dropped off date, but Sarah and Hank are still good to go. They were interviewed for baptism and all is well. Their baptism was changed to this Wednesday because the funeral for Sarah’s ex-boyfriend is going to be on Saturday. Elder Buchanan will be baptizing them and I will have the opportunity to confirm them and give them the Holy Ghost. I'm really happy for them. Sarah is going through such a hard time right now. She was very depressed for a few days, but after her interview for baptism she has been so happy. I will have to take some pictures and send them home. So our 5 baptisms we had on schedule have now gone down to 2. We still have some investigators that we are working with and we are hoping that all goes well with them. The roller-coaster life of missionary work. What is amazing is that even with all of this happening, Elder Buchanan and I are having a good time. I can't describe it, but one day I just woke up and I was the happiest I had ever been. I really thought about the things our Savior did for us. I thought how happy I will be to meet him one day, and just that thought brought so much hope and comfort to my soul. It sustained me during this week and helped me to keep moving forward. I should have been completely depressed this week, but I wasn't. I counted my blessings and felt so much better.

So right now I am on exchanges with one of the zone leaders, Elder Chavez. It’s been good. I think they are having a hard time in their area right now. Elder Chavez doesn't really like to talk about it haha. It’s okay. I know exactly how he feels. Even zone leaders have hard times on their missions. Last night we went to family home evening with the young single adult branch. It was pretty fun. We had cake for people who had birthdays in April and then we played big booty (first time ever playing that game, and I’m horrible at it) and then we played catch phrase. As usual I rocked at catch phrase, but we still lost. I can't believe it! It was a lot of fun though. Still don't really want to go to a singles ward when I get home though haha.

Let’s see, what else has gone on this week....... We will find out about transfers this Saturday. I'm hoping that both Elder Buchanan and I will stay together for at least one more transfer. We work really well together and are having a blast at the same time. So I don't know when I am going to do it, but I’m gonna send a tape home to you guys. It will be "A Day in Dayton." Its gonna be awesome! Well I really don't have much else to talk about. I love you all. Have a great week and enjoy life.

Love,
Elder Garrick

No comments:

Post a Comment